Eye strain symptoms can appear after using your sight for an extended period of time especially when concentrating on one area. You may notice headaches, blurriness, dryness, irritation, and pain in the neck, shoulders, or back. Not giving your vision an opportunity to recover can cause discomfort, but below are helpful tips in avoiding such symptoms.
- Proper lighting – Poor lighting can cause eye strain very quickly. Make sure you have adequate illumination for reading and brighter lights for your workspace.
- 20/20/20 rule – When using a computer, phone, tablet, watching television, or reading stop every 20 minutes and look at something that’s 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Eye drops – Dryness can cause irritation. Use eye drops as needed to keep your eyes moist. You can also blink more frequently when looking at screens.
- Maintain healthy air quality – Poor air quality can also cause or worsen eye strain. Use a humidifier in dry spaces and don’t spend excessive time in areas with polluted air.
- Wear proper eyewear –Specialized lenses or safety ware are recommended for certain activities especially in dry and dirty work environments.
- Schedule regular eye exams – This the best way to keep your eyes healthy and your ophthalmologist can monitor changes and provide treatment when needed.
Contact Ophthalmic Specialists of Michigan at any of our three convenient locations; Livonia, Madison Heights or Dearborn to schedule your appointment today!